Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Photo: Father and child 1915 George Eastman House Collection


On August 5, 2007 my father passed away. He was 86 years young.

Today on Father's Day, in honor of Dad, I'm posting video of a few songs that he introduced me to and one that I introduced him to. Dad liked a variety of music but he talked a lot about "growl trumpets" so my selections today are heavy on the growl trumpets.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. Thanks for turning me onto such wonderful music and thanks for being such a great Dad.

I Love You Dad and I miss you.




Another song Dad introduced me to was Cab Calloway singing Minnie the Moocher




Duke Ellington's Black and Tan Fantasy from 1927 with the legendary Bubber Miley on trumpet.




Duke Ellington East St. Louis Toodle-Oo



Duke Ellington at the Cotton Club playing Echoes of the Jungle 1931



Duke Ellington - Shout "Em Aunt Tilly




Dad was a big fan of Muggsy Spanier and Jack Teagarden. Here's a great Muggsy Spanier tune.



Here's a cool video tribute to Jack Teagarden



Duke Ellington song - It Don't Mean a Thing if it Aint Got That Swing. I remember playing this song on the portable organ my parent's bought me for Christmas one year.




In addition to the "growl trumpets" and "growl trombones" Dad liked the "sound" of Glenn Miller. Here is Moonlight Serenade.




And not to leave the women out, here is Ella Fitzgerald doing Bei Mir Bist Du Shoen.




The Queen of the Blues, Bessie Smith singing Send Me to The "lectric Chair.




And who could forget Benny Goodman and Gene Krupa doing Sing Sing Sing



I'll close out today's music selections with this Django Reinhardt/Stephane Grapelli song. It's one of my favorites (as are the other tunes posted here). When I first played it for Dad he said he hadn't heard it before but said he liked it a lot. It was nice to be able to play a song for him from his own era that he hadn't heard before.


No comments:

Post a Comment

* If you post using the "anonymous" profile you can still include whatever name you wish to use at the end of your comment.